Watch This!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Edifying quotation from a John Owen book

I have had this quotation on my computer ever since I found it a while back, and it is incredibly edifying to me. I just wanted to share this with all who might also find it edifying, so I', posting it here. If you're a Christian, you'll really feel the power and truth of this citation. It's actually a quotation from a book by Anselm of Canterbury sometime in the 1200s, but I found it in one of John Owen's books on ccel.org (which I have actually supplied a link to on the left as "Millions (many) MORE FREE books").

Like I said, if you're a Christian you'll really appreciate it, and if you think about it you'll really be edified by the fact that it was written long before the actual reformation. Check it out:

There was of old a direction for the visitation of the sick, composed, as they say, by Anselm, which expresses a better sense of these things than some seem to be convinced of:— [I have edited out the long Latin quotation here. You don't have to thank me.] — that is, “Dost thou believe that thou canst not be saved but by the death of Christ? The sick man answers, ‘Yes;’ then let it be said unto him, Go to, then, and whilst thy soul abideth in thee, put all thy confidence in this death alone, place thy trust in no other thing; commit thyself wholly to this death, cover thyself wholly with this alone, cast thyself wholly on this death, wrap thyself wholly in this death. And if God would judge thee, say, ‘Lord, I place the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between me and thy judgment; and otherwise I will not contend or enter into judgment with thee.’ And if he shall say unto thee that thou art a sinner, say, ‘I place the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between me and my sins.’ If he shall say unto thee that thou hast deserved damnation, say, ‘Lord, I put the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between thee and all my sins; and I offer his merits for my own, which I should have, and have not.’ If he say that he is angry with thee, say, ‘Lord, I place the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between me and thy anger.’ ”

No comments:

Dramatized Exegesis