Watch This!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Is This My New Favorite Christmas Hymn?

Charles Wesley was a gift to the church. He not only wrote my favorite hymn "And Can it Be?" but he has also written many other doctrinally delicious and spiritually stimulating hymns. He has written songs on the Trinity and our sinfulness and other Christmas songs like "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." The most recent of Wesley's gifts that I've come across is a two verse treasure called "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus."

Anybody else heard of this? I sure haven't. We sang it in chapel yesterday, and I couldn't believe what we were singing. I LOVE this song! I've heard it said that in a short verse or two of a poem or a good song you can say a volume's worth. This song does just that. It is definitely in line with the Charles Wesley tradition. And since I might as well continue with the musical recommendations, take a peek at these lyrics (and here's the music):

Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel’s Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me it's the "Huron Carol."
Ever heard of it?

BTW, I found the blog through FrancisTurretinFan's site. He has engaged with some thoughts of mine from time to time.

If you go over to my blog and feel like taking part in any conversations, please feel free to do so.

Michael.Gabriel said...

Thanks Kelly.

No, I haven't heard of the "Huron Carol," but I'll look it up. I'm glad to hear that you found me on Tur8tinfan's site. I'll have to tell him thanks for posting a link.

I'm on my way to your blog now...

Dramatized Exegesis